Tobacco is most widely used in different forms all over the world with each form being equally dangerous spreading cancer like dangerous diseases. Around 8 million people die every year with the use of various tobacco products like cigarettes.
Due to social awareness many people now have the desire to quit but they may return to the habit after a few attempts. Tobacco addiction is a dangerous thing that if detected earlier can save the person with support of a family, friends, medical personnel and support group.
Tobacco or smoking cigarettes addiction displays a number of symptoms which confirms that the person is unable to live without them and is in need of tobacco rehabilitation.
Some symptoms of this addiction are
- While in tension you turn to smoke to destress yourself
- A strong urge to chew or smoke after a certain period of time or after certain activities is felt by you
- Having sleepless nights
- You get shaky hands, increased heart beat and experience nervousness if you don't smoke for a long period
- Have difficulties in concentrating on your work or activities once you get the cravings
- Feeling depressed or low not having enough energy to do anything
- Being aware of the health issues caused by smoking and still ignoring won't stop the habit
- You put on excess weight due to increased appetite
- Avoid going to social gatherings or places where you can't smoke
If you stop smoking your body starts showing signs of positive changes as the days pass by.
How your body reacts to the changes?
- Oxygen levels in the body start improving making you more energetic
- Heart rate becomes normal, blood pressure is lowered and chances of heart attack are reduced, improving the blood circulation
- Your lungs store the chemicals present in cigarette smoke which makes way for many diseases of the lungs and throat. Quit smoking helps clean up the lungs and make your breathing smooth
- Immunity of the body is increased so it fights better with bacteria and viruses keeping you away from different diseases
- As the years pass by the chances of your getting stroke, diabetes, many types of cancers and heart disease reduce
There are other rewarding things that you will enjoy other than the benefits to your body after your tobacco rehabilitation.
- Spending on cigarettes puts a lot of burden on the family budget. Quitting tobacco would mean good savings that can be put to a better use
- Smoking not only destroys the health of the smoker but second-hand smoke is dangerous to the family member's health as well. Deciding to quit smoking ensures healthy living by eliminating the ill effects of nicotine
- It improves your thinking positively to look at problems in a different way
- When a person in the family is smoking the other family members are concerned about his/ her health. The decision to quit makes the life of the family easier
- Health issues due to smoking reduce as time passes
- Social status is regained as you enjoy socializing at different events and you are appreciated for your decision with a warm heart
- Along with productivity the boost in your energy levels make you able to deliver efficiency in working
Experiencing withdrawal symptoms after you stop smoking is quite natural as the body doesn't want to let go off the feeling of relaxation from nicotine. So, it tries to force you back to the addiction.
Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal
- Lack of concentration due to fatigue
- Feeling anxious and depressed
- Mood swings will become part of your life
- Excessive sweating may be irritating
- With increased appetite, you go on putting extra body weight
- Feeling irritated all the time as you don't get the relaxing nicotine doses
- Strong urge to have nicotine
Nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms will trouble you only for a short time like 15 to 20 minutes then you can be a winner if you distract yourself by doing something interesting. Being accustomed to smoking every single day makes it an inseparable part of your life that's why it's very hard to let go. Tobacco rehabilitation programs include some prescription medications and Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT).
Medicines to be taken by consulting a doctor
- Bupropion or Zyban also used as an antidepressant is a prescription medicine not containing any nicotine that can be used with Nicotine replacement Therapy (NRT) for better results but should be monitored as it may cause the risk of developing high blood pressure
- Varenicline also is known as Chantix is the medicine without any nicotine usually prescribed by the doctor for quitting smoking cigarettes or tobacco can be used along with Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) to overcome the cigarette cravings. The satisfaction you get from smoking is reduced or suppressed by this medicine helping you to stay away from it
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is radiation therapy useful for keeping you away from tobacco reducing the number of cigarettes smoked per day
- Nortriptyline is another antidepressant medicine that is also considered a good tool to quit smoking
- Ayurveda afters a good set of methods like panchakarma to eliminate toxins deposited in the system of the body due to smoking and ayurvedic remedies to control the tobacco addiction which are also better for health as they have minimum side-effects
- You can also take a homeopathy treatment that also has gained popularity these days in curing health issues and these medicines are also very effective in treating your cravings for smoking as well
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) options like a nasal spray, gum, patch, lozenges, inhalers are used to overcome cigarette or tobacco cravings. Consulting a doctor before going for any medication or therapies is better for your health.
- Nicotine patches can be stuck on the back or hand for the release of small quantities of tobacco into the bloodstream
- Nicotine gum is a solution for people who can't live without the habit of having a cigarette in their mouth or chewing tobacco with a small amount of nicotine
- Nicotine nasal spray delivers a small amount of nicotine when inhaled for satisfying your tobacco cravings
- Nicotine Lozenges are sugar candies in different flavors that release a less amount of nicotine in the mouth to suppress the urge to have a smoke
A person who smokes less than 10 cigarettes in a day can do without using any NRT as he will have fewer cravings or with less intensity. This is known as cold turkey quitting.
Besides taking the help of medication and therapies, psychological support and advice play the most important role in tobacco rehabilitation.
Support from social groups and other sources
- A doctor's consultation is always valuable considering his expertise in health issues
- Tobacco Rehabilitation centers providing physiological and psychological advice are helpful in keeping you healthy in both the aspects while you quit tobacco
- Residential Tobacco Rehabilitation center is a better option as you are under constant supervision of medical personnel guiding you in controlling the bad habit
- Counseling finds out the reasons for engaging in the addiction and suggests different ways to put an end to the same
- Support of family, friends and well-wishers is always welcome at any point of time giving encouragement to embrace good habits and live life to the fullest
- Mobile Health Apps that are easily available on the phone provide a timely reminder to keep you motivated for keeping yourself away from tobacco
- Support groups available online provides guidance and advice throughout the leaving smoking process
Other things you can practice for tobacco rehabilitation in everyday life are
- Identify the things that remind you of the addiction and avoid them or engage in something else
- Inform your family about your goal and ask for support through the difficult phase
- Meditation keeps the mind calm and focused elimination of thoughts diverting from your goals
- Induce positive thoughts for a better future. Make a decision and stick to it no matter what comes in the way
- Try chewing on something like chewing gum or some crunchy vegetables and fruits for cravings
- Healthy lifestyle changes in the daily routine like exercising or practicing yoga makes a big difference for body fitness
- The Constant reminder of the good changes quitting tobacco is offering is motivational
- Even in case, you relapse which is common you have to try again and again
- Understand that it will take lots of efforts and patience to succeed so be mentally strong and persistent
You can click here to learn more about the tobacco rehabilitation process.
Are you still not convinced it's better to be late than never to try quitting tobacco or smoking? We at the Let's Quit De Addiction Center guide you throughout your journey to avoiding past mistakes and embracing a new and healthier lifestyle. So, visit us at www.letsquit.net to let us assist you in your tobacco rehabilitation.